Monday, September 13, 2010

And We Have Trish Farned at the Organ

The first person described in Scripture as being "filled with the Spirit" was not a priest or prophet. He was an artist and craftsman (Exodus 31:1-6).


And the LORD said to Moses, "See, I have chosen Bezalel son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah, and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts--to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of craftsmanship. Moreover I have appointed Oholiab, son of Ahasamach of the tribe of Dan, to help him. Also I have given skill to all the craftsmen to make everything I have commanded you...."


In earlier chapters God gives special gifts of wisdom--like to the garment makers in Exodus 28. But here we read for the first time about someone being filled with the Spirit of God, in order to do special work in God's House.

This side of the cross, and with the insight of the Holy Scriptures, we have a more complete understanding of God's gift of His Spirit and the way He enables all of us to function for His honor and glory in His holy family.

I think about this on many Sundays during worship. We have been given a priceless array of artists in our church family. One of our organists is Trish Farned. This is what she says:

One of the first things I was taught as an organist was to make my settings to match the words of the hymns. I try really hard to do that and to play in a way that will have meaning to the congregation. I truly enjoyed playing the Almighty Medley last week. I tried to play with everything I had because when we are singing the words: Almighty, Most Holy God, Immortal, Invisible God Only Wise, and Holy, Holy, Holy, Lord God Almighty, there is no playing it halfway. I give it everything I've got!

That is pure worship and He deserves everything we can give.

The offertory (My Jesus, I Love Thee) is one of my favorite hymns, and again when you play the words If ever I loved Thee, my Jesus tis now we have to play it like we mean it. To me music is a very important form of worship and I ask the Lord to use me as an instrument to help reach someone every time I play.


Bezalel was goldsmith, silversmith, jeweler and a carpenter, He probably even made some of the musical instruments used in God's House for His worship -- the text says he was skilled in all kinds of craftsmanship.

We have things to do for God, too. He created us and enables us to do kind and thoughtful things for others and to perform acts that bring pleasure to God's family.
In addition to those general random acts of kindness, He has also given all of us special tasks to do -- special positions of service that are reserved just for us.

We need to pray for His wisdom, to open our eyes and ears and hearts, to seek out those opportunities and then to, like Trish, give them all we've got!

There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit. There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. There are different kinds of working, but the same God works all of them in all men. Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good (1 Corinthians 12:4-6).

No comments:

Post a Comment