Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Do We Really Want to Know...? Sermon Notes

Sunday, July 10



Bro Mike went back to Moses again. This time the question of the day was "Do we really want to know God's Will?"

Hear the full sermon on our website: fbc-bc.org.

These are just some notes that I felt I needed to pay particular attention to:

The context is Moses at the burning bush. Moses approaches the bush and hears God's voice.
(Exodus 3)

GOD'S WILL

1. His will always reflects His heart.  

    Exodus 3:7. "The LORD said, I have indeed seen the misery of My people in Egypt. I have heard them crying out because of their slave drivers, and I am concerned about their suffering..."

God had seen. He had noticed. He cared. This is where it gets dangerous. Do we really want to pursue? Do we really want to know God's heart?  That means we have to care about what (and who) He cares about.

Aren't we usually interested mainly about our own situations and problems?

Bro Mike encouraged us to run a check on our prayer life. Is it 90% about us? Do we really want to seek God's heart and how to please Him?

2. His will always involves us - our service.

   Exodus 3:10. "So now go. I am sending you to Pharoah to bring my people the Israelites out of Egypt."

Every believer will be asked to do something. Opportunities are open for everyone. Seeking God's will brings us into the picture.

3. His will always challenges our faith.

Exodus 3:11.  "But Moses said to God, 'Who am I that I should go to Pharoah and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?'"

There is a fine line between our "comfort zone" and being exactly where God wants us and loving it!
Is it OK to love where we are?

See verse 12 where God tells Moses that "I will be with you." And notice the sign God gave Moses: And this will be the sign to you that it is I who have sent you: when you have brought the people out of Egypt, you will serve God on this mountain.....

The sign comes after obedience.

When Moses said to God (verse 13): "Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you and they ask me, 'What is his name? Then what shall I tell them?'"

God's answer in verse 14: "I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites:"

"I AM has sent me to you."

It's the Hebrew statement of God. There is no one like Me.

It is vague. It leaves us with questions., as it should.

It's a leap from serving God on Mt. Horeb and doing something in the local church.

The promise is the same: I will be with you.

Moses had excuses. God answered them all.

Bro Mike's original question was: "Do we really want to know God's Will?"

It's going to involve service....

.What God wants us to do will (1) reflect God's heart (2) involve service and (3) challenge our faith.

When we  say no is it:

Humility or unwillingness?
        Humility or pride?
                   Humility or fear?
                           Humility or unbelief?

No comments:

Post a Comment