Friday, February 22, 2013

Looking Toward Easter - #4 - 2 Hymns


How deep the Father's love for us
How vast beyond all measure
That He should give His only Son
And make a wretch His treasure

How great His pain of searing loss
The Father turns His face away
As wounds which mar the Chosen One
Bring many sons to glory

Behold the Man upon the cross
My sin upon His shoulders
Ashamed I hear my mocking voice
Call out among the scoffers

It was my sin that held Him there
Until it was accomplished
His dying breath has brought me life
I know that it is finished

I will not boast in anything
No gifts, no power, no wisdom
But I will boast in Jesus Christ
His death and resurrection

Why should I gain from His reward?
I cannot give an answer
But this I know with all my heart
His wounds have paid my ransom.

-----by Stuart Townend, 2008 AD
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And this hymn from an earlier time...


O sacred head, now wounded
With grief and shame weighed down
Now scornfully surrounded
With thorns Thy only crown
How pale Thou art with anguish
With sore abuse and scorn
How does that visage languish
Which once was bright as morn?

What thou, my Lord, has suffered
Was all for sinner's gain
Mine, mine was the transgression
But Thine the deadly pain
Lo, here I fall, my Savior!
Tis I deserve Thy place
Look on me with Thy favor
Vouchsafe to me Thy grace

What language shall I borrow
To thank Thee, dearest Friend
For this Thy dying sorrow
Thy pity without end?
O make me Thine forever
And should I fainting be
Lord, let me never, never,
Out live my love to Thee.

   -- Paul Gerhandt, 1650 AD


Ageless words about the ageless
act.....Christ's work on the cross...
O how He loves you and me.....







No comments:

Post a Comment