Sunday, September 18, 2016

Memoir of McCheyne - Preparing for Revival

Thoughts from Rev. Robert McCheyne (1813-1843)


I ought to go to Christ for the forgiveness of each sin. In washing my body, I go over every spot, and wash it out: should I be less careful in washing my soul?


I ought to see the stripe that was made on the back of Jesus by each of my sins. I ought to see that in Christ's blood shedding there is an infinite overpayment for all my sins....


I feel, when I have sinned, an immediate reluctance to go in Christ. I am ashamed to go. I feel as if it would do no good to go--as if it were making Christ a minister of sin, to go straight from the swine trough to the best robe--and a thousand other excuses; but I am persuaded they are all lies, direct from hell.


John argues the opposite way: "If any man sin we have an advocate with the Father."


I am sure there is neither peace nor safety from deeper sin, but in going directly to the Lord Jesus Christ. This is God's way of peace and holiness. It is folly to the world and the beclouded hearts, but it is the way.


I must never think a sin too small to need immediate application to the blood of Christ.  I must never think my sins are too great, too aggravated, too presumptuous--as when down on my knees, or in preaching, or by a dying bed, or during dangerous illness--to hinder me from fleeing to Christ. The weight of my sins should act like the weight of a clock, the heavier it is, it makes it go the faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment