Thursday, November 14, 2019

If you want to be happy in a trillion ways...

If you want to be happy in a million ways,
          For the holidays you can't beat home sweet home....



The joy of a person on the way home....

Ever notice how a person heading home just acts differently. A lighter step; a broader and quicker smile; an obvious buoyancy; a more pleasant attitude, even in unpleasant circumstances. Maybe even a certain glow. A sudden sparkling uncalled-for laugh.



"What are you doing for Christmas?"

"Oh, I'm going home."



Maybe, and likely, all the memories of holidays at home are not great ones. Maybe even some would be better forgotten. But it still rings true and often we can detect a self-conscious satisfaction in the words: "Oh, me? I'm going home."



We all want to go home.



God instilled that yearning in us as certainly as He gave us a desire for food and water.



I read on a Christmas card...hearts come home for Christmas....

And what a difference the wording makes. We tell our friends we are going home. We tell our mother or Father...and  God.... we are coming home.



The words of the popular gospel song: "Lord, I'm coming home."

Open wide thine arms of love.....Lord, I'm coming home.
Look around. Some of us live the joy of a person on the way home..... He has called to us and brought us to the right road. We are on our way.


Nothing can go wrong. We are on our way home.


Words from Hound of Heaven, by Francis Thompson...near the end of the poem...
All which I took from thee I did but take,
Not for thy harms,
But just that thou might'st seek it in My arms.
All which thy child's mistake
Fancies as lost, I have stored for thee at home:
Rise, clasp My hand, and come.


All we ever really wanted in this life is right there in His arms, waiting for us to
"come home."



Rise, clasp My hand, and come...come home....




My great, great, great, great grandparents (1780's) sang this song:

Come, ye sinners, poor and needy
Weak and wounded, sick and sore
Jesus ready stands to save you
Full of pity, love and power.
I will arise and go to Jesus
He will embrace me in His arms
In the arms of my dear Savior
O there are ten thousand charms



Our ancestors understood it!...Let not conscience make you linger, nor of fitness fondly dream...all the fitness He requireth is to feel your need of Him...
[It's all so profoundly simple...]

and this warning:  If you  tarry till you're better, you will never come at all...!
[because we can never be good enough]



Rise, clasp My hand, and come....come home....




P.S. Until recently in world history ten thousand was considered a huge number.
Our ancestors had no concept of millions, billions, and certainly not trillions.
So in Amazing Grace we sing "ten thousand years," and in the song above, "ten thousand charms." We could modernize them by singing "ten trillion years" and "ten trillion charms," but we probably won't.

Home for the Holidays says "in a million ways." It is a newer song. But we could
change it to say "trillion ways"....but we probably won't.



You can give it a try...

'Cause no matter how far away you roam,
If you want to be happy in a trillion ways,
For the holidays - you can't beat home sweet home.

No comments:

Post a Comment