Tuesday, February 1, 2011

National Day of Prayer - May 5, 2011

Once to every man and nation comes the moment to decide--
in the strife of truth with falsehood, for the good or evil side.
--James Russell Lowell
"O house of Israel, can I not do with you as this potter does?" declares the LORD. "Like clay in the hand of the potter, so are you in my hand, O house of Israel.

"If at any time I announce that a nation or kingdom is to be uprooted, torn down and destroyed, and if that nation I warned repents of its evil, then I will relent and not inflict on it the disaster I had planned." (Jeremiah 18:5-8)

On the other hand...
"And if at another time I announce that a nation or kingdom is to be built up and planted, and if it does evil in my sight and does not obey me, then I will reconsider the good I had intended to do for it." (Jeremiah 18:9-10)
We've been studying Jonah on Wednesday nights. Was Jeremiah thinking about Jonah when he wrote these words of the LORD? Was he remembering Nineveh?

Some horrifying statistics from Chuck Colson this week: 41% of the pregnancies in New York City last year were ended by abortion. 41%! A staggering sign of our moral bankruptcy. Of our total disregard for human life. Of our absolute commitment to self-indulgence and self-interest. Even some of the "pro-choice" people are horrified by these figures.

I am thinking today of our National Day of Prayer and Bro Mike's desire to see our church filled with people who are committed to asking God to graciously lead us to national repentance. God has already promised, "If my people who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land." (2 Chronicles 7:14)

Our land sure needs healing!

God appeared to Solomon one night and gave him that message. And He left that message for us to read and ponder 3000 years later.

Once to every man and nation comes the moment to decide....

No comments:

Post a Comment