Thursday, October 6, 2011

A Problem in Acts - Sermon Notes for 10/02/11

Main Text:

Now a man named Ananias, together with his wife Sapphira, also sold a piece of property.  With his wife's full knowledge he kept back part of the money for himself, but brought the rest and put it at the apostles' feet.

Then Peter said, "Ananias, how is it that Satan has so filled your heart that you have lied to the Holy Spirit and have kept for yourself some of the money you received from the land? Didn't it belong to you before it was sold? And after it was sold, wasn't the money at your disposal?

What made you think of doing such a thing? You have not lied to men but to God."
--Acts 5:1-4

Universal concern of parents - that their children not get involved
with the wrong crowd.

In this case, the danger was hanging around with the right crowd.

When you hang around with the right crowd:

1. You will see people do impressive things that get noticed
2. You will be tempted to be noticed yourself
3. Your desires to be noticed may lead your to do something you never thought you were capable of doing.

This message really cut to the quick. There is a subtle but powerful lesson for us all (at least for me).

To think about: Do you know where you are supposed to serve the church right now?

Can you handle God's assignment on God's terms?

Can you serve and see others serving and attracting more attention?

They were in the middle of a revival - how could Ananias and Sapphira have done this?  They were never asked to bring in any of the money. But envy of Barnabas and his gift  (and the attention he got) led them to this dishonest act.

Reminder:

1. Satan is always hanging around and eagerly looking for
ways to bring us down.

2. We are always just a few seconds away from temptation.

3. Bring God into our circle of temptation. He is saying, "I know your weakness. Let me help you."


Last question: Do you know where you should be serving?

This message was hard for me -- I enjoy the service ministries we are involved in....I also like the appreciation expressed to me....and I really like it when people compliment me.... 

 I do feel each ministry is an assignment from God but my own pride is so much involved in the service I do.  I think I do anticipate people's approving words to me more than I look for God's approval. The praise of human beings often motivates me more than pleasing my Father.

Some of the people who help me when I have a specific need say, "I want this to be anonymous," and I deeply respect them for that quality. Frankly, I don't say that myself very often.  And certainly it is rare when I even think it. I like being noticed...and approved of.... and I think I even enjoy that self-righteous feeling that sometimes comes from being active in church ministry.

Wow, do I need help!

God, please be merciful to me, a sinner.....

For me, the main issue is the humility I need to have and exhibit. And the "servant spirit" .... and the unselfish love for others so that I can see them excel and be genuinely happy for them...and be more
concerned with God's glory than my own....and to earnestly seek to make others look good --- to put the shining light on them and off myself....

Yes, I have a long way to go...

Please, God, be merciful to me......

These are just random thoughts I walked away with Sunday morning. You can hear the full sermon on our website: fbc-bc.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment