Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Red Sea Rule #6 - Sermon Notes

Red Sea Rule #1 - Realize that God means for you to be where you are
Red Sea Rule #2 - Be more concerned for God's glory than for your relief
Red Sea Rule #3 - Acknowledge your enemy, but keep your eyes on the Lord
Red Sea Rule #4 - Pray
Red Sea Rule #5 - Stay calm and confident and give God time to work


Red Sea Rule #6 - When unsure, just take the next logical step by faith

Main Text:

     The Lord said to Moses, "Why do you cry out to Me? Tell the children of Israel to go forward."
                                                                   --Exodus 14:15

From where the Israelites were at that time, it was not far to their destination. But it ended up taking them 40 years!

God generally leads us step-by-step, provides for us day by day, cares for us moment-by-moment.

     Your strength shall be renewed day by day like the morning dew. Psalm 110:3

     Give us this day our daily bread. Luke 11:3

     Blessed day by day be the Lord, who bears our burdens. Psalm 68:20

     The Levites and the priests praised the LORD day by day, singing with loud instruments unto the
     LORD. 2 Chronicles 30:21

     Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man
     is being renewed day by day. 2 Corinthians 4:16.

"Whenever I haven't known what to do, I've tried to do what comes next, to take the next logical step by faith. I've decided that sometimes plodding is better than plotting when it comes to finding God's will."  (Robert Morgan)

Day by day, and with each passing moment,
Strength I find to meet my trials here;
Trusting in my  Father's wise bestowment,
I've no cause for worry or for fear.
--from Day by Day by Karolina W. Sandell-Berg


From the words of Jesus in His "Sermon on the Mount" -  "So don't be anxious about tomorrow. God will take care of your tomorrow, too. Live one day at a time" (Matthew 6:34 TLB)

Example from the story of Abraham's servant Eliezer while on a mission to Mesopotamia to find a bride for Isaac. Arriving there, he met Rebekah and explained to her family his mission.

 In Genesis 24: 27 we have these wonderful words; "And I being in the way, the LORD led me."

Example from Samuel. On the occasion of Saul looking for his father's lost donkeys. He never dreamed the entire trip had been designed by God to led the young man to the prophet Samuel.

When the two met, Samuel anointed Saul king over Israel and gave him some specific signs to look for. There would be three men with three goats, some bread and wine. They will offer your bread - take the bread.. These were exact instructions. Then verse 7 (of 1 Samuel 10) reads: "And when these signs come to you, do as the occasion demands; for God is with you."

Br Mike closed with some words from A. T. Pierson: "To go as I am led, to go when I am lead, to go where I am led -- it is that which has been for twenty years the one prayer of my life."

Take things moment by moment, and when you don't know what to do, just do what comes next. Trust God to lead you a step at  time.

     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I took away so much from this message. I loved the references to biblical personalities, to music, and the quotes from others. There was a lot for me in this message (and after all, it's all about me, right?)


No comments:

Post a Comment