Thursday, September 27, 2012

Sermon Notes - Mulling It Over

Bro Mike says he plans  now to do 4 sermons (originally he planned to do 3) on Discipling (Making Disciples) - The Mission of the Church. That suits me just fine, because I am being confronted with a lot of important truths, and would like to spend more time in
Colossians 1.

I am "mulling over" some things I really need to "mull over."

I haven't heard the term, "mulling over," in a long time.
"To mull" comes from an old Middle English word that means "to grind." It is normally used with "over." It means to "cogitate" or "ponder."

Actually I don't hear those terms much anymore, either.  (Maybe we don't do it much anymore?)

Anyway, I made a list of thoughts that I am pondering, cogitating about, or mulling over, from the messages for September 9 and 16:



1. Angels look at our inheritance of God's grace by Christ's atoning sacrifice and marvel - we are so blessed!

They "look over the balcony of heaven" and are amazed at the extent of His love for us. (Are they "mulling it over"?)
 
Even they are astounded at God's unspeakable gift to us, His lowly creatures. And at what a great cost...(In my imagination, I hear a great cosmic "gasp!")


 
2. Kingdom mentality. The Old Testament prophets had a kingdom mentality. They served God and suffered for Him, delivering faithfully His message for mankind, knowing they would not be around to witness His greatest Act - they would not be recipients of His greatest Gift. Still they served.

Do we serve that faithfully - even knowing sometimes that others will reap the greater benefit of our service? Do I?


3. How am I different now from (1) the way I used to be, and, (2) others around me? Am I taking "the road less traveled by"? Is there really a difference in my life?


4. Being an expert in the life of Paul would be the most important goal for our Bible study. (I am understanding this better as I keep "pondering" it.)


5 Each decision we make each day requires us to make a choice relating to our journey with Him.


6. Our testimony to others should not be "intense" but carried out, lived out, in freedom and love. (I needed this!)


7. Christ (and the Holy Spirit) are partnering with us in our "extreme make-over." We are not alone in our pursuit of holiness.


8 We are to teach disciples obedience - not just reading and studying  what Christ did, acknowledging His great acts, but to commit ourselves to complete obedience and teach others to do the same.

He said, Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to obey every thing I have commanded you.
......Matthew 28:19-20

No comments:

Post a Comment