Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Sermon Notes - Sept 9, 2012


The Road Not Taken

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim
Because it was grassy and wanted wear,
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I marked the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

 --- Robert Frost




A classic ring to this poem. You have to make a choice. Ultimately you take a risk.There might be disappointment.

It's refreshing when your pastor chooses to open his heart
and allow you to look in and share his thoughts.

Sunday Bro Mike gave us a significant look at some of his vision and desire for our church. 
He shared that some of his ideas have changed through his years of ministry.

Sometimes it is important - and necessary - for leaders to be able to say, "I don't know." It is a dangerous thing to follow someone who never says, "I don't know."

"I believe in revival," he said. "This church needs a revival. America needs a revival. But the real mission of the church is the path toward discipleship."

This was a "big" sermon. Expansive in content. As individuals have to make choices, so does the church. I am having trouble putting all the ideas in a readable format. I think I will divide it into 2 parts.

I was reminded that Bro Mike has a high opinion of his congregation. He feels free to take on "big" issues. That's a compliment to both.


PART 1

A Congregation's Path to Being a Faithful Church -

Discipleship



Jesus' last words to His disciples:

Matthew 28:19-20


Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the ages.


Is Jesus with us? If we do what He says, He is. He did not ask us just to teach, but also teach people to obey.

The aim of discipleship is not just more knowledge of what He teaches, but obedience to what He teaches.


Jesus did not merely ask us to teach everything He commanded.

He asked us to teach people to obey everything He commanded.

The end result of discipleship is not merely the knowledge of all Jesus commanded...but obedience to all Jesus commanded.



Bro Mike went on to ask: If the Staff asked for people to volunteer to disciple those who have never been discipled...

1. Would you volunteer?

2. Would you consider yourself qualified?


Question 2 is a super private question you need to answer in your heart.  It is between you and God. What would be your answer?

How long have you been in the church? How long does it take to become qualified to disciple another?

[Note: If one of us were to ask him (Bro Mike) what they needed to know most he would reply, "To be an expert on the life of Paul." As he gave his message I could see what he meant.]


Colossians 1:24-29

Bro Mike will be preaching on these verses for 3 weeks because of their significance in the relation to our topic: The Congregation's Path Toward Becoming a Faithful church.


(Notes continued in Part 2)

You can hear full sermon on our website: fbc-bc.org












No comments:

Post a Comment