Monday, January 22, 2018

What Comes First - Love or Obedience?

"I will tell you if you really want to know," said the Director.

"Please," said Jane reluctantly.

"You do not fail in obedience through lack of love, but have lost love because you never attempted obedience," he answered.

Ransom's reply to Jane.....from That Hideous Strength, by C. S. Lewis.

As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's command and remain in his love....My command is this: love each other as I have loved you." (John 15)

If you love me you will obey what I command.....if anyone loves me he will obey my teaching...
(John 14)

It's a glorious unbroken circle, spiraling ever upward -- we love Him and so we obey Him...as we obey Him we love Him...and as we love Him we love each other.... If we love Him we will obey His teachings...and His teachings are that we love Him and each other....

It seems love and obedience are connected like Siamese twins... they are inseparable.
Is that the way it is in my life? Do I try to do one without the other?

No comments:

Post a Comment