Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Interesting Connection - John 4 and John 14

I was looking up verses about the function of the Holy Spirit for someone -

All this I have spoken while still with you. But the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. (John 14:25-26)

Then flipping back to John 4 I came across the words of Christ when He was speaking to the Samaritan woman at the well.....she says, I think with firm conviction, I know that Messiah (called Christ) is coming. When He comes, He will explain everything to us....(John 4:25).

I hadn't ever considered these verses together before: When Christ comes, He will explain everything, she says.  Christ says, After I leave, the Holy Spirit will teach you all things and remind you of everything I have said to you.

I notice two things: (1) the words -- everything...all things...everything... and (2) How the Holy Spirit was to take Christ's place....to slip in the vacancy and fill it with His presence, specifically as our teacher, to explain everything,  to teach all things, and to remind us of everything Christ said......to do just what Christ did while on earth....

We could actually take her words and re-create them to say....I know that the Holy Spirit is coming. When He comes, He will explain everything to us....because the words are interchangeable, as the work of both the Son and the Holy Spirit are interchangeable?

Thank you, O my Father
For giving us Your Son
And leaving Your Spirit til
Your work on earth is done


What a great God! What a great Christ! What a great Holy Spirit! What a great Book!

No comments:

Post a Comment