Monday, January 14, 2019

Escape from Doubting Castle and the Giant of Despair

This excerpt is from John Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress:

Christian and Hopeful have been captured by Giant Despair and are prisoners in the dungeon of Doubting Castle.

Christian: Brother Hopeful, what shall we do? The life that we now have is extremely wretched. For my part I know not whether it is best to live like this for a time, then starve to death, or be beaten to death by their brutal man, or to die now and get out of it. Surely the future grace is to be desired rather than this dungeon.

Hopeful: As you see, I am in the dungeon, too, and a far weaker person by nature and experience than you, receiving the same punishment and suffering the same agony. This giant has wounded me and has also cut off bread and water from my mouth. And along with you, I mourn without the light.

At about midnight, Christan and Hopeful began to pray and continued until almost break of day.

Then Christian suddenly cried out in amazement:  What a fool! What a fool I am to lie here in this stinking dungeon when I might walk free on the highway to glory! I have a key in my bosom called Promise which I am sure will open any door in Doubting Castle.

Hopeful: That is certainly good news, my brother. Get out your key and try it.

Then Christian took the key of Promise and pushed it into the lock of the dungeon door. The bolt fell back and the door came open. Then they went to the door leading to the castle yard. The key opened that door also.

Now they came to a great iron gate leading outside. The lock to that gate was exceedingly difficult, yet they unlocked it and pushed the gate open to make their escape.

The prisoners came to the King's highway, where they were safely beyond Despair's jurisdiction.

                                                               ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


          His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and goodness, through these He has given us His very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.  2 Peter 1:3-4



                         Long my imprisoned spirit lay
Fast bound in sin and nature's night
Thine eye diffused a quickening ray
I woke, the dungeon filled with light
My chains fell off, my heart was free
I rose, went forth and followed Thee!
          -- From And Can It Be by Charles Wesley


And from Jeremiah:

I remember my affliction and my wandering, the bitterness and the gall.

I well remember them, and my soul is downcast within me.
Yet this I call to mind, and therefore I have hope: because of the LORD's great love, we are not consumed, for His compassions never fail. They are new every morning.

Great is Your faithfulness.

I say to myself, "The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for Him."
                        --Lamentations 3:19-23

No comments:

Post a Comment