Sunday, January 20, 2019

Quoteworthy -- So How Do We Do It?

Thinking about the church I attended when a child.  Great memories. We had an intensive educational program and I am so thankful for the foundation it gave me-- the resoures to meet real life and not only survive, but to beome a victor! -- little did I know then how much my life would be enriched by the study of God's Word while still a child.


Many people can easily recite the first Question and Answer  from the famous Westminster Catechism ~~~

Question #1: What is the chief end of man?


Answer: Man's chief end is to glorify God and to enjoy Him forever.




Question #1 is the logical beginning - what am I here for?


After answering that, everything else falls into place.






Question #2:  What rule hath God given to direct us how we may glorify and enjoy Him?


Again, the next obvious question -- from the catechism --  how do we accomplish our purpose?


Answer: The Word of God, which is contained in the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments, is the only rule to direct us how we may glorify and enjoy Him.




I remember our pastor, Bro. Burch, teaching us this part of the catechism.

He would hold up his Bible in loving hands and gently caress it and say, "This is the only rule to go by ...the only rule....the only rule God has given us to show us how to glorify Him and enjoy Him forever. Never forsake it." We learned lots of verses, too, to develop our understanding.




And I have found that as the answer to Question #1 settled the big mysterious why of my life (why am I here?), Question #2 settled the big how of my life (how am I supposed to live this life to glorify Him and enjoy Him?)


After understanding that, everything else falls into place.

No comments:

Post a Comment