Thursday, February 14, 2019

May I have a refill, please?

The Bible talks a lot about cups -- the cup of God's wrath, mostly, throughout the Old Testament and several times in John's Revelation; and then in Jeremiah, the cup of consolation, which will not be offered to the disobedient.

But in another passage I ran across a different cup -- in Psalm 116:
How can I repay the LORD
for all His goodness to me?
I will lift up the cup of salvation
and call on the name of the Lord.
--Psalm 116:12-13
I can't turn away from this...it is attached to my brain like an important sticky note.....
Does this mean we repay the LORD for His goodness by lifting our cup and asking for more?
Can that be? (That's what we usually lift our cups for...for refills...)
We give thanks to Him by asking Him to give us more?
More of His bounty? More of His presence? More of His abundant goodness? More of His water of life? More of His manna from heaven?
I guess it's because it speaks of our grateful hearts. And it shows our parched throats begging for His true living water.
It shows we are needy and desperate!
And where else can we go? For He has the eternal, never-ending supply of all that is good.
A man dying of thirst on the desert, when rescued, is told to drink small sips of water at first, and then he gulps down every drop, drains the cup, and holds it up for more.
And who, with water available, would deny him?
As the deer pants for streams of water,
so my soul pants for You, O God.
Psalm 42:1
This is my plan for today - I will drain that cup of blessings -- I will drain it dry -- to the very bottom of the cup -- thanking God each moment for His goodness - and then raise it up again and ask for more!
What a great way to live!
It's got to be the best deal in the universe - He gives me His presence and His presents .... I just say thanks and ask for more...how could anyone turn this down?
(It almost feels like cheating!)
Fill my cup, Lord, I lift it up Lord,
Come and quench this thirsting of my soul
Bread of heaven, feed me till I want no more
Fill my cup, fill it up, and make me whole!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Just recently I has having lunch with my sister and two of her grandchildren. I noticed that about mid-way through the meal, the server approached our table to ask if we needed anything.
My six-year-old nephew held up his glass and politely asked, "Sir, may I have another Sprite, please?"
I was impressed, first of all with his politeness, and secondly, because of his confident, expectant attitude as he held up his glass, and thirdly, because he knew precisely who to ask....it was an example to me of the way we look to God -- with respect and reverence, with expectance and confidence, knowing He is the only one who can give us what we need and want!
Could I please have a re-fill?

No comments:

Post a Comment