Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Why do we worship God? C S Lewis


It's God's Will That We Worship Him      


To worship and to glorify God is to declare and demonstrate the greatness of His character.
 

After we have received the gospel of Jesus, what spurs us into worship?

We worship God in obedience to Him and because we want to.

We worship Him because we enjoy Him!


C S Lewis describes this:

     All enjoyment spontaneously overflows into praise...

     The world rings with praise -- lovers praising mistresses, readers their favorite poet, walkers praising the countryside, players praising their favorite game...

     I think we delight to praise what we enjoy because the praise not merely expresses but completes the enjoyment; it is its appointed consummation.

              From Reflections on the Psalms,
                  by C S Lewis


All enjoyment spontaneously overflows into praise....

Praise is the natural result of enjoyment.

I can't think of anything I enjoy in life that I don't joyfully praise unreservedly - a song, a bird sighting, a book, a spiritual experience - praise for things we enjoy pour out of our hearts continually, spontaneously.....

To not praise something I enjoy is to bind me in joyless chains.

It is not possible to enjoy something without expressing grateful praise.

Isn't this the heart of following Jesus: enjoying God as our Father, through Jesus Christ the Son and our Savior?

And to enjoy is to praise!

Praise not merely expresses our joy, it completes it!


When this becomes reality to us, our lives are forever changed.

Bless the Lord, O my soul
O my soul
Worship His holy Name
Sing like never before
O my soul
I'll worship Your holy Name

No comments:

Post a Comment