Thursday, August 8, 2019

Good Grief...is this guy nuts?

I'm thinking about a 'not-so-old' song.... by Phil Vassar, about 10 years ago.

The kids screaming, the phone ringing
Dogs barking at the mailman bringing
That stack of bills overdue
Good morning, baby, how are you?

Got a half hour, a quick shower
Take a drink of milk, but the milk's gone sour
My funny face makes you laugh
Twist the top on and I put it back

There goes the washing machine
Baby, don't kick it
I promise I'll fix it
With about a million other things

Well, it's OK, it's so nice
It's just another day in paradise
Well, there's no place that I'd rather be

Well, it's two hearts
And one dream
I wouldn't trade it for anything
And I ask the Lord every night
For just another day in paradise.

Just another day in paradise? Is this guy nuts? His life is a complete mess....he put the sour milk back in the refrigerator! Can't pay his bills....Bunch of kids and the washing machine is broken....What gives him the right to be so happy? 

Why can't he see how miserable his life is...poor, pitiful man....almost makes you want to cry to see how blinded he is to the facts...well, I guess 'ignorance is bliss!'

Sometimes I wish I could be more like him!

Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content.     (Philippians 4:11 NKJV)

I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances (NIV)

Actually I don't have a sense of needing anything personally. I've learned by now to be quite content whatever my circumstances. I've found the recipe for being happy whether full or hungry, hands full or hands empty. Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am. (The Message)

And for an old (700 years ago) translation by Wycliffe:  I have learned to be sufficient in which things I am. I say that as for need, I have learned in which things I am, sufficient to be.


Paul was in prison when he wrote these words.  Sometimes I live in my own self-designed and self-constructed prison of cheerless ingratitude.....

I guess I need to be more like that poor, pitiful man with the miserable life!

No comments:

Post a Comment