Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Memoir of McCheyne

From Memoir of Rev. Robert McCheyne (1813-1843)

This letter from Rev. McCheyne to "My dear friend" was written in March, 1840.


Look at Romans 5:19: For just as through the act of disobedience of the one man the many were made sinners, so also through the obedience of the one man many will be made righteous.


We had no hand in Adam's sin, and yet the guilt of it comes upon us.We did not put out our hand to the fruit, and yet the sin and misery has been laid at our door.

 In the same way, "by the obedience of Christ, many were made righteous." Christ is the glorious One who stood for many. His perfect garment is sufficient to cover you. You had no hand in His obedience. You were not alive when He came into the world and lived and died; and yet, before God in His perfect obedience, you may stand before God righteous. This is all my covering in the sight of a holy God.

I feel infinitely ungodly in myself--in God's eye, like a serpent or a toad--and yet, when I stand in Christ alone, I feel that God sees no sin in me and loves me freely.


This same righteousness is free to you. To be as white and clean on your soul as on mine. O do not sleep another night without it.

I must not weary you. One word more. Look at Revelation 22:17. Sweet, sweet words. "Whoever is thirsty, let him come; and whoever wishes, let him take the free gift of the water of life."


The last invitation in the Bible -- Christ's parting words to a world of sinners.


Anyone that pleases may take this glorious way of salvation. Dear friend, be persuaded by a fellow-worm not to put off another moment. Behold the Lamb of God, that taketh away the sins of the world.

You are sitting, like Hagar, within reach of the well. May the Lord open your eyes, and show you all that is in Christ. I pray for you, that you may spiritually see Jesus, and be glad--that you may go to Him and find rest.


Farewell, Yours in the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment