Thursday, October 24, 2019

Voices from Above

I ran across some reminders of Christ's last days on earth. John 12. I hadn't read these words in some time and the picture before me astonished me, as always, with the glorious truth of the incarnation.

Jesus had been speaking of His death. There was a crowd present -- including maybe "the Greeks" who had come to Jerusalem for the Passover and who had told Philip, "We would like to see Jesus."

(Philip went to Andrew and then both of them told Jesus. But apparently there were many others around).

Christ says: "My heart is troubled, and what shall I say? 'Father, save me from this hour?' No, it was for this very reason I came to this hour. Father, glorify your name!"

Then a voice came from heaven, "I have glorified it, and will glorify it again."

It is easy to recall the voice from heaven when Jesus was baptized by John. "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased."

And at the Mount of Transfiguration, "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. Listen to him!"

The first time we are told about the Voice was at the beginning of Christ's ministry. The second time was during his ministry. Now this third time is at the end.

I had to re-read the words in John12 several times. They are packed with meaning.

There is no way we can ever comprehend the cost of what Jesus accomplished on the cross.

So often we think of it in terms of what is cost to save us. But here we get a glimpse of the higher purpose -- "Glorify your name."

I think we often forget that Christ's final goal was not our salvation, but the glorification of His Father.

It's the same for us. The famous Westminster Catechism Question #1 - "What is the chief end of man?" Answer: "The chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever."

Another reminder that Jesus' cruel death not only saved us, but "glorified His Father's name."

He was deeply troubled, and yet the glorification of His Father was uppermost in His mind.

Isn't there a message for us here? When we are in the depths of trouble and crying out to God, shouldn't we be praying "Father, in this matter, glorify your name."

"In this time of great sorrow, Father, glorify your name."

"In this time of great anxiety and fear, Father, glorify your name."

Father, glorify your name in me.....through me.....today....right now....always....Father, glorify your name. Wherever I go today and whatever I do -- do as you will with my life -- just please, in me, glorify your name!

No comments:

Post a Comment