Friday, March 5, 2021

It's All About Easter - George Herbert


I ran across this old, perhaps obscure, poem, written by George Herbert in the early 1600's.

I am so touched by its words.

George Herbert (1593-1633) was a Welsh-born poet, orator and priest.

His family were wealthy aristocrats, and he received the best education available, even attaining a position at Cambridge and being named a Member of Parliament.

He was drawn to theology and the gospel message, and devoted his later life to the Anglican clergy.

Read these beautiful words:


LOVE

Love bade me welcome; yet my soul drew back,
Guilty of dust and sin.

But quick-eyed Love, observing me grow slack
From my first entrance,
Drew nearer to me, sweetly questioning
If I lacked anything.

"A guest," I answered, "worthy to be here."

Love said,  "You shall be he."

"I, the unkind, ungrateful? Ah, my Dear,
I cannot look on Thee."

Love took my hand, and smiling did reply,
"Who made the eyes but I?"
"Truth, Lord, but I have marred them; let my shame
Go where it doth deserve."

"And know you not," says Love, "who bore the blame?"

"My Dear, then I will serve."

"You must sit down," says Love, "and taste my meat."

So I did sit and eat.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


I am so moved by these words. They picture what most of us feel each time we bow in prayer.

When we gaze upon Love (Christ), we see ourselves as unworthy, and realize that someone much grander, much more holy, should be in our place: A more worthy guest should receive Christ's invitation!

We shrink back for His hand, aware of our guilt and shame.

We are still invited in, even invited to eat.  Even more amazing, we are not the servant attending the table. 

He serves us. We sit and eat.

We are the guests.

That was His teaching that last night, the night He was betrayed, arrested and convicted. The night of the last supper with His disciples.  He served them the bread and wine that night.

Hear His words again:


The kings of the Gentiles lord it over them...But you are not to be like that. Instead, the greatest among you should be like the youngest, and the one who rules like the one who serves.

For who is greater, the one who is at the table or the one who serves? Is not the one who is at the table? But I am among you as one who served...And I confer on you a kingdom, just as my Father conferred one on me, so that you may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom....
                                                      -- Luke 22:25-30


And it wasn't just words. Look what He did:

Jesus knew the time had come for him to leave this world and go to the Father. Having loved his own who were in the world, he now showed them the full extent of his love....so he got up from the meal, took off his outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around his waist. After that, he poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciples' feet, drying them with the towel that was wrapped around him.
                                                     -- John 13:1-5

He was showing them the full extent of his love?

He said He was 'conferring on them a kingdom' -- were they confused?

In Jewish society washing the feet was too lowly a task even for Jewish servants - yet here this God-Man was washing their feet? Was this the kingdom they yearned for?


    





No comments:

Post a Comment