Sunday, September 5, 2021

O Love That Will not Let Me Go

                                                      

                                                     O Love That Will Not Let Me Go


I've been thinking about another old hymn today - about 150 years old, written by George Matheson.

I didn't hear it sung much in church when I was growing up. But I do remember seeing it in our hymnal and pondering its gentle, sweetly powerful words.

I remember thinking about who wrote it and wondering if I would ever know anyone who knew God that well.

In the passing years I have met a few -- a few-- saints who loved God and worshipped Him like the author of this hymn. 

I think anyone singing it must bow their head in prayer and in awe.

I really isn't a congregational hymn, I think;  It is too personal. Sometimes I sing it when I am alone with God and no one is listening....


    O Love that will not let me go, I rest my weary soul in Thee.

     I give Thee back the life I owe, that in Thine ocean depths

    its flow may richer, fuller be.

    O Light that follows all my way, I yield my flickering torch to Thee.

My heart restores its borrowed ray, that in Thy sunshine's glow

its day may brighter, fairer be.

O Joy that seekest me through pain, I cannot close my heart to Thee.

I trace the rainbow through the rain, and feel the promise is not vain

That morn shall tearless be.

O Cross that lifts up my head, I dare not ask to hide from Thee

I lay in dust life's glory dead, and from the ground there

blossoms red, life that shall endless be.


He is our LOVE, LIGHT, and JOY. He is everything we want and need, but it all starts at the CROSS.



No comments:

Post a Comment