Thursday, October 4, 2012

Sermon Notes for 09/30/12


Just notes.....to hear full sermon go to: fbc-bc.org and click on "Sermons" -

This has been such a challenging series - The Mission of the Church - Discipleship.  Bro Mike concluded it today.

The basic text has been Colossians 1:24-29.

Introduction:
 
All to Jesus I surrender;
All to Him I freely give
I will ever love and trust Him;
In His presence daily live
 
All to Jesus I surrender;
Make me, Savior, wholly Thine,
Let me feel Thy Holy Spirit
Truly know that Thou art mine.
 
All to Jesus I surrender
Lord, I give myself to Thee
Fill me with Thy love and power
Let Thy blessing fall on me.
 
I surrender all; I surrender all;
All to Thee, my blessed Savior
I surrender all.
 
 
 
This hymn will be today's "Invitation Hymn" at the close of the service. It will the time for a public response, to receive Christ, or join the church, or a private response to fully surrender our lives to His call for discipleship. All should decide something - publicly or privately.
 
Bro Mike referred to Christ's last words to His disciples in Matthew 28:19-20: Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you..."
 
 
Last words are significant. We pay close attention to them.
 
Christ told His disciples to go out and engage people. There must be a point of decision. Baptize - a public statement you are a believer, and then discipleship begins...teaching them to become something different....to lead them to grow to be ready to go to the Lord when the time comes.
 
 
Back to the initial question asked in this series:
 
If the staff of this church asks for volunteers to disciple new Christians  -- would you consider yourself qualified?
 
 If you continue to say "no," then the root problem is not feelings of inadequacy, but pride and unfaithfulness.


Paul gave up everything -- his status, his influence, his authority -- to follow Christ.

If we were to ask him later, "Paul, was it worth it? All the suffering -- prison, beatings, scornful rejection? He would say, 'Yes!'"

Colossians 1:24-29:

I now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up in my flesh what is lacking in the afflictions of Christ, for the sake of His body, which is the church, of which I became a minister according to the stewardship from God which was given to me for you, to fulfill the word of God, the mystery which has been hidden from ages and from generations, but now has been revealed to His saints.

To them God willed to make known what are the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles: which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.

Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.

To this end I also labor, striving according to His working which works in me mightily.


The riches of the glory - not just great fundamental doctrines of the church, but Christ in you - in us - in the people in our church.

Do you see Christ in the people in your church?  Seeing Christ at work in those around you should bless and encourage you.

1. The Person of the Discipleship Process....How does a person grow (mature)? To be genuinely ready to go when God calls them home...Bro Mike again referred to the two recent funerals of women in our church who had become "discipled." They were ready to be called home.

Salvation, new birth,being saved - is the beginning point only. How do you go from there to being ready to go to the Lord? Discipleship --  someone, some church helps us grow....

verse 28: Him we preach - He is  above all denominational lines - above all else - He is the head of the Church.

Is the message we have worth interrupting some one's life to talk about Him? Is it worth being nervous to talk to someone we don't know? Is it worth the feeling of being scared and nervous to talk to a close friend?

You have to answer the question in the privacy of your own heart;  Do you believe someone is better off if they follow Jesus? Better off now? Better off later?

Or better off being left alone.  Is it worth it? Is He worth it?
Do you have a right to interrupt their livers?

2. The Purpose of the Discipleship Process....to present every man perfect (mature, complete). The world may think "perfect" means I think I am better than you. No....I am in the process of becoming like Jesus...changes taking place in my life make me different...on the way to becoming what He wants me to be....

Everyone is worth being discipled.

3. The Power of the Discipleship Process ....to this end I labor,  striving. ..In the Greek it means "agonizing..."

American church attitude: don't expect anything from me...leave me alone. This is the American marketplace.

Hey, relax, chill out, quit struggling...

But we agonize, because He is worth it...

Remember "soccer mom"  - picture of women who get up before dawn, get their kids breakfast, to school, pick them up and take them all over for all their activities....they don't stop til is all done - everyday - 6 or 7 days a week.

"I will agonize till my death for my kids.. there is no sacrifice I won't make.." they are saying.

Would you agonize for anyone beyond your family?

American mentality -- look at my calendar....my schedule is full...

Is there any evidence I am serving the Kingdom of God on my calendar?

verse 29:  I labor for this, striving with His strength that works powerfully within me.  "Power"  - from the Greek word for "dynamite."

We all need His power - laid back, passive people and aggressive, active people.


Bro Mike turned to an example from the life of Bonhoeffer, who said:

  Christianity without discipleship is Christianity without Christ.

Bonhoeffer himself was an supreme example of discipleship. Teaching in the US during the 1930's, and then when he realized what was happening in Germany he returned to his homeland to serve Christ, and suffer there with His Church,  knowing he was facing certain death.


Closing:

If you flew from New York to Los Angeles in (1) a large 747, or (2) a light Cessna... what would be the difference? On the larger commercial plane, the pilot would put it on autopilot and all the course adjustments would be taken care of.

In your friend's Cessna 172 you would make many stops for fuel, and make various course corrections and adjustments, and it would take a lot longer.

Your life: "Lord, what adjustments  do I need to make?"

If so, what adjustments are you making?

Will you consider discipleship a part of it?

Prayer:

Lord, help us to be faithful to You. For some this morning that means we are asking that You would influence them and draw them to Yourself and be saved. For others to be really open about their walk with You and where they are on this road of discipleship. For those who are very intrically involved in church life, to step back and see what this should be about. Help us, Lord, in Jesus' name. Amen.



 


No comments:

Post a Comment