Tuesday, October 16, 2012

What Jesus Revealed to John- Sermon Notes 10/14/12


Turning to the Book of the Revelation...


The declarations and specific datings of Christ's return by William Miller in the 1800s and Harold Camping in the 1900s have scarred the church with the scorn and ridicule of the world.

But the Book of the Revelation has an important message for us today and had an immediate impact on the early Christians.

The early church faced intense persecution -- including death and imprisonment. John's Revelation encouraged them, reminding them that human history is in the hands of God.

[Often, Bro Mike reminded us, we thank God for the freedom we have today - freedom to worship and exercise our faith. But what are we doing with this freedom?]

Did the early Christians wonder what was happening all around them? Did they wonder why saying 'yes' to Jesus seemed to bring them into danger? Was it going to ruin their lives? 

They were reminded in John's Revelation that earthly places are temporary - even Jerusalem and the Promised Land was temporary. So why, they might wonder, did God provide for His people a land and place of worship; why did He encourage them to hold on to it so tenaciously, when it was all temporary?


I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT GOD IS GOING TO DO
IN THE FUTURE
 

Revelation 21:1-5

Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea.

I saw the Holy City, the New Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband.

And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people and God himself will be with them and be their God.

He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."

He who was seated on the throne said, "I am making everything new!" Then he said, "Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true."


1. God is going to provide a permanent home for people.

       God cares about a physical place. A physical location. There were no clouds - no floating around - no mist hiding John's vision.

       In Jerusalem today we are not impressed with its actual physical beauty. We look around at the stones and dirt. And some other nation has Temple
Mount. This Jerusalem is temporary.

       Why did the God of all space and time and eternity choose a particular physical place?

2. He is going to join us at that permanent home.

        The tabernacle in the desert and the temple in Jerusalem were symbols of God's presence, but in another way, symbolic of where God wasn't. He brought down His shekinah glory and filled the temple with His glory.

       But in reality, He could not live anywhere there was any microscopic cell of sin. He is holy. He was not there in the same way He is going to be with us -- now the dwelling of God is with men - and He will be with them --

3. He will remove all evidence of sin and suffering.

      Preachers spend much of our lives trying to explain pain and suffering - people wonder, 'God, why couldn't You have just made a slight adjustment to Adam and Eve so they would be obedient to You? Why was that tree so important?'

      Doctors in the ER repair bodies from violent acts and people wonder, why? 'I don't know. Pass the scalpel.'

      God is going to remove all evidence of sin and suffering.

      Note from verse 1: there was no longer any sea.
 In ancient literature, including the Bible, the sea represented the unknown, dark, dangerous...a symbol of evil.

      Someday, He will, wipe away all evidence of our pain and suffering.


IMPLICATIONS OF ALL THIS
 
1. This world is not my home. I know this, but I am still caught up in the world.
 
We might think, "Oh, I want Him to return, but maybe He could wait a couple of weeks....we want to go to Hawaii...", or "I have tickets to the big game..."
 
We would be kidding, but not kidding.
 
Question: Do I really long for verse 3 - having God's dwelling place with me?
 
Bro Mike shared that often he is respected and receives special treatment. Other times his forehead is stamped "Party Pooper"! People wonder, why did you invite him? He's no fun! Hide everything til he leaves, which will probably be early because he doesn't like parties!
 
God right there? is that attractive to us? Is that our desire? Or is it like having the Big Boss around....better hide!
 
2. I'm being prepared for it. I'm not ready. Oh, Bro Mike, you can't be serious! No, there are some things I need to take care of --
 
We need to start imaging how wonderful it will be -- that every conceivable fun thing we can think of is nothing compared to what He has for us.
 
This is a fact: I am going to be OK...I'm going to be changed. 
 
We will be ready. He is going to change us. When we take that first breath of heavenly air, we'll be ready!
 
 
ARE YOU GOING WITH ME?
 
Here's the thing: I have believed what the Bible says about Jesus and I have responded. I am a sinner. I am guilty. He is perfect. At the cross I lost my guilt. I asked Jesus Christ to come into my life.
 
I am not perfect. I need to get over some things. He is patient, nudging and guiding me and speaking to me.
 
One day I will arrive in heaven and I don't deserve it. Jesus will introduce me to His Father as one of His because He paid the price for my sin.

 
 
 
Father, thank you for your word. Thank you for what is absolutely going to be true some day. I pray it would make us live differently - and act like it in our loose grip on things and we would look to you as the Author and Finisher of our faith.This I pray in Jesus
name....



Note: This was a really super message - challenging and comforting and uplifting....go to our web site to hear it all - these notes are really inadequate.... I almost deleted them....

Go to: fbc-bc.org
 

 
 
 
 
 

   
   

    
      
      



No comments:

Post a Comment