Thursday, October 22, 2020

What really transforms us?

Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.  Romans 12:2 (NIV)


Don't let the world around you squeeze you into its own mold, but let God re-mold your mind from within. Romans 12:2 (JBP)

Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Romans 12:2 (NLT)


I've been pondering this idea for the last few days -- how do we
really change our thinking and behavior? Obviously, we can't!

But God, through the work of the Holy Spirit, can and will!

I make a list of things I know I need to change (and I know there are many more I am not even aware of now).

--Forgive a person who wronged me
--Be kinder
--Be more patient
--etc...

I read and re-read 1 Corinthians 13 and vow to make that my
goal - I even do the thing about putting Christ's name in 
1 Corinthians 13 wherever "love" is....like in verse 4: "Love (Jesus) is patient, Love(Jesus) is kind"....I especially note verse 5...."keeps no record of wrongs"....and I think of all those memories I have in my mind of things people have done or said to me that hurt....those retained memories  are the "record of wrongs" He does not want me to hold on to....

But I don't seem to make much headway.

Am I kinder - more patient - more loving - more forgiving than I was yesterday?

I don't see much evidence of that.

I go back to 1 Corinthians 13 and try to insert my name in the place of "Love" and notice what a laugh that is!



Here is my new goal - Don't think about my shortcomings -
Don't list the areas of my life that I need to work on....

Instead, thinking constantly about what God has already done - and is doing - for me!

His love, His forgiveness, His kindness - concentrating on that makes me so grateful for His goodness to me that I find myself more easily extending it to others!

The power for transforming our lives comes from the basic gospel itself. We can be changed, not by being reminded of how we fall short, but by reminding ourselves of what He has done for us!

That's the power of the gospel!

It's so much easier this way - concentrate, not on myself, but on Him! 

As C. S. Lewis said, "Humility is not thinking less of myself, but thinking of myself less."





No comments:

Post a Comment