Monday, November 5, 2018

Gleanings from Obed-Edom (Part 12) - The last bit

God's Ark found a resting place at Obed-Edom's home. For 90 days Obed-Edom was host to God's presence. When King David came to retrieve the Ark and remove it to a new resting place in Jerusalem, Obed-Edom joined to procession of faithful, joyful Jews who accompanied the Ark. He played his harp, maybe danced with David along the road, and rejoiced that he could stay close to God's presence by moving to Jerusalem and serving God in the new tabernacle King David had prepared.

When there, Obed-Edom, whose name means "servant/enemy of God", found places to minister, and was finally promoted to care for the vast treasures (probably about 2 and 1/2 billion dollars in today's money) that David was collecting for his son Solomon to place in the great new Temple which Solomon was going to build for God.

Sometime in his life, Obed-Edom became a friend, not an enemy, of God. And being in God's presence appears to be the central point in his life.

How blessed we are now -- because now the great Sovereign LORD of the universe can come live within us -- now He can enter our lives and actually settle down and be at home in our hearts.

I remember when I invited the Son of God to come in and live in me. I will never forget that day. But there is another day I remember also. That was the day I suddenly realized I wasn't doing it right.

I was so caught up in cleaning each room (what about that horrible Hall Closet?) that I was living like a child with one of those games -- you know, when the child sits in front of a platform with pegs sticking up -- and he takes his mallet and pounds one down and another pops up...and he keeps going and going..faster and faster, the pegs keep popping up -- well, that was my life.

I would clean one room and by the time I was through, I saw the dust and dirt in another room. And so I hurried there. And it went on, around and around.

But after all, the King of the Universe is living here. I have to keep it clean!

I couldn't take it any more. I was frazzled and tearful.

So I asked Jesus one day, "Would it be possible, or would you be willing --you can see how weary I am-- to take care of it all and operate it for me, just like You did in that Hall Closet?"

His face was shining on me when He said, "Of course." And I could see He was pleased.

"That's really what I came to do. It is impossible for you to do it in your own strength. Let me do it in you and through you. That's the only way it will really work."

I felt relieved and like the biggest burden had been lifted from my back.

"But," he continued. "You know, I don't own this house. I have no authority to make changes since I am not the owner. I am just your Guest. I can't take charge since the property is not Mine."

Then I understood. He was being treated like a Guest. I was trying to play host.

"From now on You are going to the owner of this house. I am going to be the servant."

I ran for the strong box. I took out the title Deed that showed me as the owner.

"Here it is," I said to Him, "all that I am and have forever. Now You run the house. Just let me stay with You as house servant and friend."

Like Obed-Edom who wanted to be near the presence of God every minute of his life, I, too, wanted to be with God, and have Him with me, every moment of my life.

He took my life that day. A great soul-happy peace came upon me, and it has stayed with me every day, no matter what the cicumstances of my life on the outside, I live with the King of the Universe in my heart.

And what about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment