Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Anonymous Confederate Prayer


This prayer was found on the body of an unknown Confederate soldier on a battlefield in 1863.  A solider 'known only to God...."


     I asked for strength that I might achieve;
     I was made weak that I  might learn humbly to obey.

     I asked for health that I might do greater things;
     I was given infirmity that I might do better things.

     I asked for riches that I might be happy;
     I was given poverty that I might become wise.

     I asked for power that I might have the praise of men;
     I was given weakness that I might feel the need of God.

     I asked for all things that I might enjoy life;
     I was given life that I might enjoy all things.

     I got nothing that I had asked for;
     but everything I had hoped for.

     Almost despite myself my unspoken prayers were          
        answered.

     I am, among all men, most richly blessed



No comments:

Post a Comment