Wednesday, July 3, 2024

God Bless the USA!

 

How long have we called our country the USA?

Almost from the beginning. Jefferson's rough draft of the Declaration of Independence, completed June 28, 1776, was titled, "A Declaration of the Representatives of the United States of America, in General Congress Assembled..."

So that's 248 years at least!

Freedom still means a lot to us, and we know from history that 'Freedom isn't free!'

But what about our spiritual freedom? Free for us, because of God's grace, costly beyond imagination for the Giver.

A good day to recall these words from Charles Wesley, written about the same time Jefferson wrote our national document of independence and freedom:

     "Long my imprisoned spirit lay, fast bound in sin and nature's night.

     Thine eye diffused a quickening ray.

     I woke, the dungeon flamed with light.

     My chains fell off, my heart was free,

     I rose, went forth and followed Thee!

     I rose, went forth, and followed Thee!"


And, friends, that's real, everlasting freedom! Chains off - free heart -- following Jesus!

No such freedom anywhere else!

No comments:

Post a Comment