Tuesday, January 11, 2022

Keeping the main thing the main thing....

 Last week I read one of Chuck Colson 's articles. It was disturbing. He talked about a Canadian high school teacher who was getting ready to start a class in Ethics. He decided jump start his study with a true story and gauge the class reaction.


The story was about a young Muslim girl married to a Taliban member. He was abusive and she tried to leave. Her family, along with his, cut off her nose and her ears and left her to die on the desert. Question: was this right or wrong?


Imagine his dismay when they couldn't decide. Finally the consensus seemed to be that it would be wrong here, but was acceptable there.


Is this what happens when we take the Ten Commandments and other indicators of absolute right and wrong out of our schools? Now it is all just a matter of opinion - too bad, young girl - you, and all others like you,  are doomed by relativists. (She somehow survived - she crawled a ways and someone found her and took her to an American hospital. She still lives).


Christians are so blessed. We know what God considers right and wrong. We do not have to waste time and effort debating it.


I notice, though, how hard it seems to be for most Christians to articulate exactly what they believe about their faith.


A favorite study material is the Heidelberg Catechism. It was written in the 1560's (next year is the 450th anniversary of its publication!)

There are 129 questions, divided into 52 sections, one for each "Lord's Day," so the Christians could study one section at their regular services each week.

The first section is called The Misery of Man.


Question 1: What is thy only comfort in life and death?
Answer: That I with body and soul, both in life and death, (a) am not my own, (b) but belong unto my faithful Savior Jesus Christ; (c) who with His precious blood, has fully satisfied for all my sins, and (d) delivered me from the power of the devil; (e) and so preserves me (f) that without the will of my heavenly Father, not a hair can fall from my head; (g) yea, that all things must be subservient to my salvation, (h) and therefore by His Holy Spirit, He also assures me of eternal life, (i) and makes me sincerely willing and ready, henceforth, to live unto Him (j).

(a) Romans 14:7-8, (b) 1 Corinthians 6:19, (c) 1 Corinthians 3:23 and Titus 2:14, (d) 1 Peter 1:18, 1 John 1:7, 1 John 2:2, 12, (e) Hebrews 2:14, 1 John 3:8, John 8:34,-36,  (f) John 6:39, John 10:28, 1 Peter 1:5, 2 Thessalonians 3:3, (g) Matthew 10:29-31, Luke 21:18, Romans 8:28, (i) 2 Corinthians 2:20-22, 2 Corinthians 5:5, Ephesians 1:13-14, Romans 8:16, (j) Romans 8:14, 1 John 3:3.



When I was a child we began our study for church membership with the Westminster Catechism; it is not quite as old as the Heidelberg --it was  written in the 1640's. In the 1670's the Baptist published their own catechism which is largely based on the Westminster.


They are all sound, beautifully written, and lift up the sovereignty of God, and His holiness and His love. But since I grew up with the Westminster document, I remember it best.

Its first question is:     What is the chief end of man?
And the famous answer is:     Man's chief end is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever.


I notice that the Heidelberg starts with what comfort God has given us. How comforting those words are!


I remember reading about John Newton in his declining years. He had lost much of his memory, and realized it. He confided to someone. "I don't remember many of the things I ought. But I remember two things: (1) I am a great sinner, and (2) Jesus is a great Savior."


He remembered the most important thing. Nothing else really matters. We are great sinners and Jesus is a great Savior.

It's keeping the main thing as the main thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment