Sunday, June 13, 2021

It's Really All About Winning

VICTORY!

I remember that great old song "When We All Get to Heaven." We often sang it when I was young - -  You should have heard us singing! The church was full and everyone sang loudly and joyfully.

The 4th verse: Onward to the prize before us! Soon His beauty we'll behold; Soon the pearly gates will open; We shall tread the streets of gold.....When we all get to heaven, what a day of rejoicing that will be! When we all see Jesus, we'll sing and shout the victory!

I was also remembering  "He Lives!" Rejoice, rejoice, O Christian, lift up your voice and sing eternal hallelujahs to Jesus Christ the King! We sang that often, too, when I was growing up. Still a great hymn....

I was thinking about these songs: they are victory songs, anthems of success, words of triumph - they are all about winning!

I leafed through the hymnal -- so many of the songs we cherish proclaim our confidence in our final victory through the cross of Jesus Christ.

Remember "We Gather Together"? I am sorry we only sing it around Thanksgiving. So from the beginning the fight we were winning. Thou, Lord, wast at our side; the glory be thine!

And what about: This is my Father's world, O let me ne'er forget that though the wrong seems oft so strong, God is the Ruler yet. This is my Father's world. The battle is not done; Jesus who died shall be satisfied, and earth and heaven be one.

From A Mighty Fortress is Our God: Christ Jesus it is He; Lord Sabaoth His name, from age to age the same, and He must win the battle....And though this world with devils filled should threaten to undo us, we will not fear, for God hath willed His truth to triumph through us.

There are so many songs and hymns celebrating our ultimate victory. Here's the last verse of "Once to Every Man and Nation": Though the cause of evil prosper, yet the truth alone is strong. Though her portion be the scaffold and upon the throne be wrong. Yet that scaffold sways the future, and, behind the dim unknown, standeth God within the shadow, keeping watch above His own."

I love that idea - God is still there watching over us....even if He is not in our sight - He is still there!

Victory songs! Moses' song in Deuteronomy 32: There is no God besides me. I put to death and I bring to life, I have wounded and I will heal, and no one can deliver out of my hand...

He is the Rock, his works are perfect, and all his ways are just. A faithful God who does no wrong. Upright and just is he.

And the victory song of Deborah and Barak in Judges 5: When the princes in Israel take the lead, when the people willingly offer themselves--praise the Lord!

Hear this, you kings! Listen, you rulers! I will sing to the Lord, I will sing; I will make music to the LORD, the God of Israel. O LORD, when you went out from Seir, when you marched from the land of Edom, the earth shook, the heavens poured, the clouds poured down water, the mountains quaked before the Lord, the One of Sinai, before the LORD, the God of Israel.

...So may all your enemies perish, O LORD! But may they who love you be like the sun when it rises in its strength.  [Isn't that a truly beautiful expression?]

There will be victory songs in heaven, too:  Amen! Praise and glory and wisdom and thanks and honor and power and strength be to our God for ever and ever. Amen!

To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be praise and honor and glory and power, for ever and ever! (Rev. 5 and 7)

[So we already know some of the words to the victory songs we will be singing in heaven.]

Every new day should be a day to sing "Victory Songs." Because from the beginning the fight we were winning. God is at our side..all glory to Him!

It's great to be on the winning team.


P.S.
I remember in high school we had special cheers to use when we were winning-- boisterous, almost arrogant proclamations. And some more encouraging ones for when we were losing. I can't remember any of the words though.

But the best of all victory songs for these centuries after the Bible: And the rockets' red glare and the bombs bursting in air, gave proof through the night that our flag was still there....and the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave o'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.



No comments:

Post a Comment