Monday, October 29, 2018

Gleanings from Obed-Edom (Part 5) - The Living Room

When we were in the Dining Room Jesus showed me that the only really soul-satisfying food comes from Him, each day, and it nourishes me, supplying everything I need for spiritual growth.

Next I showed Jesus the Living Room. It is a cozy, welcoming room, with a fireplace, comfortable sofa and recliner (my favorite). There is an intimate and warm atmosphere.

There are book shelves and specially-made cabinets for my favorite objects I have
collected on our trips, even trips to the Holy Land.

One is what I call our "King David cup"--a plain, undecorated small piece of pottery, in very good condition, excavated from old Jerusalem (the part they call the 'City of David') and dating back to about 1000 BC, the time of King David. It had been given to Art by Menachem Begin, Prime Minister of Israel, in the late 70's and early 80's. (Begin was born in Poland in 1913, when Poland was part of Soviet Russia and he received the Nobel Peace Prize for helping initiate the peace treaty with Egypt. I remember being in Israel about that time and a woman gave birth to triplets -- she named them Carter, Sadat, and Begin to honor the signers of that historical treaty, which turned out to be short-lived. I hope the children lived a lot longer than the treaty!)

Prime Minister Begin gave the cup to Art in appreciation for his leadership of so many tours to the Holy Land, sometimes with as many as 3000 pilgrims. And all these pilgrims participated in the "tree planting" ceremonies Begin designed to help re-forest Israel, after being ravaged and de-forested by enemy armies for hundreds of years.

That little cup is precious to me. It speaks of the past, the present, and the future.

Anyway, I guess all that about the cup is in the category of 'by the way."

But here's the real point.

Jesus seemed pleased with the room. He looked at the chairs and the fireplace and I could see His approval. (And I can't think of anything else in the world that gives such joy as the signs of His approval.)

This is what He said: "This is really a delightful room. Let's come here often. It's secluded and quiet, and we can have good talks and fellowship together."

He promised, "I will be here every morning early. Meet Me here and we can start the day together."

So morning after morning I went downstairs to the Living Room. He would take a book of the Bible from the bookcase, open it, and, while He was sitting beside me, we would read it together.

Day after day He showed me the wonders of God's revelation to man that is recorded in those inspired words. He opened my eyes and enabled me to see the glorious truths.
He taught me how to honor Him, how to live with hope and peace. How to walk through life each day in full faith that He was showing me the right paths. He would talk to me through those verses and speak to me through His Holy Spirit. And I would respond to Him through my prayers, knowing, through His Spirit, that He was right there with me.

Our friendship deepened in these quiet times of personal conversation. And then when I left the room to begin all my daily scheduled activities, He walked out with me and joined me as my companion for the day.

Somehow, through my inattention, these times grew shorter. It was due, I told myself, to my heavier schedule. I seemed too busy to spend time with Him. And often, much of the "busyness" of my day was due to activities I was doing for my own local church. So I reasoned that it was proper for me to work hard for His Kingdom, even if I had to neglect our relationship.

Urgent things began to crowd out important things. One morning I rushed downstairs, running late for an appointment, and I noticed the Living Room door was slightly open. I peered in, and Jesus was sitting there on the sofa. There was a fire in the fireplace. The room seemed like a refuge of safety and its peace and serenity embraced me.

I went in. "Master, I'm sorry. You are my Guest. Have you been here every morning?"

"Yes," He said. "I told you - I promised - I would be here every day to meet with you and enjoy time in your special company."

I was ashamed.

"The trouble is," He said, "You were thinking the time with Me was for your own spiritual growth. And it is. But you have forgotten that this time means something to Me also. Remember, I love you. I redeemed you. When you call on Me and turn your face toward Me--I cherish those moments."

Those words helped me schedule my time to be in the Word and with my best Friend.
Sometimes it is not in the morning. Maybe it is later in the day. It doesn't matter. He is always there. He never forgets. He is never too busy. He always shows up. Because He is always faithful.

He did not try to make me feel guilty. His grace was shining through every word and every glance. I know His love is always there for me, even if I don't spend precious time with Him. But my joy is so much greater when I do. And the joy carries with it a kind of sublime peace that settles me down and calms my anxious heart.



Morning by morning I wake up to find
The power and comfort of God's hand in mine
Season by season I watch Him, amazed,
In awe of the mystery of His perfect ways.

All I have need of His hand will provide
He's always been faithful to me.

I can't remember a trial or a pain
He did not recycle to bring me gain.
I can't remember one single regret in serving
God only and trusting His hand.

This is my anthem, this is my song.
The theme of the stories I've heard for so long
God has been faithful, He will be again
His loving compassion, it knows no end.

All I have need of His hand will provide
He's always been faithful to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment