Friday, May 6, 2022

Goodness and Mercy


Re-reading Psalm 23 again today.

As always, finding something new to bring  me joy and inspiration..... and of course, gratitude.

 I wonder, what would David think if he could see how many people today ponder his words, relishing every phrase. Finding comfort and encouragement.

I wonder how many people have quoted these words at funerals. 
How many caskets have been placed in the ground as a minister
and loved ones prayed, "Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For Thou art with me..."  Has to be millions - after all, it's been three thousand years!

I think about Mary and Martha when they placed the body of their
brother, Lazarus, in the tomb - were they mouthing these words?
Did Jesus' mother, Mary, recite them, too, as she saw the life ebb out of her Son's body on the cross?

And I so love these words: "Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life."  "Surely" and "shall", not "maybe," or "I hope",  and "all", not "sometimes."

What a Good Shepherd we have! And David seemed to know Him very well.

"Goodness" and "mercy" - daily gifts to us from Our Father. He's leading us and they are following, like other sheep following their Shepherd.

What a parade, what a convoy, we make!

We don't have to worry about them keeping up with us - they never let  us out of their sight!

A friend once had two golden labs - she named them, yes, "Goodness" and "Mercy" - what a joy to see her walking them in our neighborhood!

Reminds me of an old gospel song:

He leadeth me, He leadeth me,
By His own hand He leadeth me!
His faithful follower I will be, 
For by His hand He leadeth me!

By His own hand - not an angel or someone to substitute - His own hand!

The words of this song were written by Joseph Gilmore about
150 years ago....here are some more of his thoughts...

He leadeth me, O blessed thought,
O words with heavenly comfort fraught.
Whate'er I do, where'er I go
Still 'tis God's hand that leadeth me!

Sometimes mid scenes of deepest gloom,
Sometimes where Eden's flowers bloom,
By waters still, over troubled sea,
Still 'tis His hand that leadeth me!

Lord, I would clasp Thine hand in mine
Nor never murmur nor repine
Content, whatever lot I see,
Since 'tis Thy hand that leadeth me!

And when my task on earth is done
When by Thy grace the victory's won,
Even death's cold wave I will not fear
Since God through Jordan leadeth me!





No comments:

Post a Comment