Monday, September 2, 2024

Sometimes We Make It All Too Hard!

 We want to do great things for God. Yes, He has given us all gifts to use to enhance and enlarge His Kingdom. But are we really opening our minds and hearts to hear His quiet voice right now?

Some days we eagerly plan a new program for our church -- one that will involve more people and accomplish more goals than our last one!

Or we organize a new ministry to get attendance up and create more excitement in our worship service.

But maybe today He just wants us to do the next thing He puts before us: Just be kind and gentle to the next person we see in the ordinary course of our day!

The neighbor struggling to get groceries out of the car -- stop for a moment and help.

The driver behind us obviously in a great hurry -- pull over and let him pass. (Maybe whisper a prayer for him.)

Focusing on some upcoming evangelistic meeting? Maybe God wants us to show more patience and gentleness with our family.

It's just a thought - but is there a difference between serving God in the simple everyday activities and in the spectacular, more flamboyant activities? (A rhetorical question?!)

Reflect again on this familiar passage:

"If I could speak all the languages on earth, and of angels, but didn't love others, I would only be a noisy gong or clanging cymbal. If I had the gift of prophecy, and understood all of God's secret plans, and possessed all knowledge, and if I had faith that I could move mountains, but didn't love others, I would be nothing. If I gave everything I have to the poor and even sacrificed my body, but if I didn't love others, I would have gained nothing" (1 Corinthians 13).

Maybe God isn't expecting us to do something newsworthy and spectacular today? Maybe He just wants us to be kind, gentle and loving to the next person we see...just "be to others as Jesus has been to us."

My focus for this day....how about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment