Tuesday, August 9, 2022

Clarify Thy Son

A clarifying truth...

Look at Wycliffe's English translation of the Bible (directly from the Latin Vulgate and finished in 1382) and see how he expressed the word we use today -- glorify -- as clarify in his version of John 17.


I love reading it this way:


These things Jesus spake, and when he had cast up his eyes into heaven, he said, 'Father, the hour cometh, clarify thy Son, that thy Son clarify thee....


I have clarified thee on earth, I have ended the work that thou hast given to me to do...


and now, Father, clarify thou me...with the clearness that I had at thee, before the world was made...


Father, they which thou hast given to me, I will that where I am, that they be with thee, that they see my clearness..


And I have given to them the clearness, that thou hast given to me....


What a remarkable way to look at it -- when we truly glorify God we make Him clearly visible to those around us -- we should be making Him clear -- clearly seen and free of impurities -- I remember my mother teaching me how to clarify butter --

Prayer for today - that I will clarify the Person of Jesus Christ and the presence of our Father and the Holy Spirit in my walk and in my talk...
everywhere I go - that He will be clearly seen in me!

May the mind of Christ my Savior
Live in me from day to day
By His love and power controlling
All I do and say.

May the peace of God my Father
Rule my life in every thing
That I may be calm to comfort
Sick and sorrowing....


Or, another song we love..."Let Others See Jesus in You"!



I looked up "clarify" in the dictionary -- from Middle English and Latin -- to make illustrious, clear, bright, famous...1.  make or become clear and free from impurities  2. to make or become easier to understand....



Clarify is a great, spiritually functional word!

No comments:

Post a Comment