Wednesday, May 26, 2021

What I love - Tom T Hall and Chesterton


Because of a problem with my eyes I can't read as much these days.

It is frustrating to me, because I spend much time, usually, reading and studying my favorite authors and scholars.

I am trying to focus on the world around me with spiritual eyes, instead of physical eyes.

The words to an almost--forgotten song come back to me. The words are by Tom T. Hall....

I love little baby ducks, old pick-up trucks,
Slow-moving trains.....and rain.
I love little country streams, sleep without dreams,
Sunday school in May.....and hay.
And I love you, too.
I love leaves in the wind, pictures of my friends,
Birds in the world...and squirrels.
I love coffee in a cup, little fuzzy pups,
Bourbon in a glass....and grass.
And I love you, too.
I love honest open smiles, kisses from a child,
Tomatoes on the vine.....and onions.
I love winners when they cry, losers with they try
Music when it's good....and life.
And I love you, too!

Here's another one: hummingbirds fanning my face.....and grace!

And that brings me back to some transforming lines by G. K. Chesterton:
Here dies another day
During which I have had eyes, ears, hands
And the great world around me;
And with tomorrow begins another,
Why am I allowed two?

Indeed, why are we allowed another day of miracles?
Hummingbirds fanning my face...and grace!
It's all about grace -- that's why we get another day!



No comments:

Post a Comment