Sunday, August 7, 2022

The Departure


For to me, to live is Christ and to die gain. If I am to go on living in the  body, this will mean fruitful labor for me.

Yet what shall I choose? I do not know!

I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far, but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body.

Convinced of this, I know that I will remain, and I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith, so that through my being with you again your joy in Christ Jesus will overflow on account of me.
Philippians 1:21-26


Death held no terrors for Paul.

It simply means "departing."

When used by soldiers, it meant, "to take down your tent and move on."

Paul elaborated on that image in 2 Corinthians 5:1-8:

     Now we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed,
we have a building from God, an eternal house in heaven,
not built with human hands.


What a beautiful picture of death: The "tent" we live in now will be taken down and the spirit will go home to be with Christ in heaven.

After all, a tent is a temporary dwelling. It is not designed to be permanent, at least not in our culture.

The tabernacle in the Old Testament was a tent that was carried around in the wilderness until the Jews entered the Promised Land. 

It was a very important tent - it housed the altar, the Holy Place and the Holy of Holies, with the Ark of the Covenant. But it was not meant to be permanent.

Sailors at the time of Paul also used the word for departure:
it meant to loosen a ship and set sail.

Alfred Lord Tennyson expressed this idea in his memorable poem, Crossing the Bar.


Sunset and evening star, and one clear call for me!
And may there be no moaning of the bar, when I put out to sea.

But such a tide as moving seems asleep, too full for sound and foam,
When that which drew from out the boundless deep, turns again home.

Twilight and evening bell, and after that the dark!
And may there be no sadness of farewell, when I embark.

For though from out our bourne of Time and Place the flood
may bear me far
I hope to see my Pilot face to face, when I have crossed the bar.



But departure was also a political term: it described the setting free of a prisoner. 

God's people are in bondage down here on earth, to the limitations of the body and temptations, but at death, we will be set free for ever!  Or earlier, if Christ comes while we are still inhabiting our earthly tents!

Departure was also used by farmers.  It meant "to unyoke the oxen."  The day's work was finished. Free the oxen and feed them, giving them rest.

Paul had taken Christ's yoke, which is a easy yoke to bear (Matthew 11:28-30), but look how many burdens he carried in his ministry.  Look at some of them he tells us about in 2 Corinthians 11:22-12:10.

To depart and be with Christ would mean laying aside all our burdens, because our work is finished, and going to be with Jesus for our eternal rest.

No matter how you look at it, death cannot steal our joy.
Paul was single-minded. He had a Godward Heart. Death could not trouble him - he looked to the hope God had given him.

Warren Wiersbe suggests a simple test to show us what we value most - what gives us the most pleasure and makes life worth living for us.

Take the verse in Philippians 1:21: "For me to live is Christ and to die is gain."

Leave two blanks: For me to live is_______________
and to die is___________.


Fill those blanks in for yourself.


For me to live is....money.....and to die is to ...leave it all behind? Or For me to live is....being famous....and to die is to...be forgotten...?  To live...is power....and to die is to....leave it all behind...?

How do you fill in the blanks?




No comments:

Post a Comment