Friday, May 13, 2022

An Extraordinary Attitude


Today I am thinking about a well-known passage: 

Philippians 4:11-13

"Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me...."

Such familiar words  ... we memorized them as children in Sunday School and VBS and cheered when the characters of the Midford Series proclaimed them all over town!

Maybe these words are so familiar we have become immune to their meaning. 

What we see here is that Paul is talking about not just extraordinary times, but an extraordinary attitude. Being content in every circumstance, and that is extraordinary!

We also learn:  (1) that is is not common or easy to feel this way. He had  to learn it - it is not one of the gifts bestowed so generously by the Holy Spirit and (2) it is a secret. It is not obvious. It has to be searched out. That's where the Holy Spirit comes in - He teaches us that precious secret. 

As I look around at people these days I am aware more than ever how blessed we are!  We can face everything that comes before us - we find contentment in Jesus, because He is with us! We know He is leading us on this journey, and it is for our good and for His glory. Those two ideas that are attached like Siamese twins to our hearts: His glory and our good!



No comments:

Post a Comment