Sunday, February 20, 2022

US: In George Washington's Words

 


I found dozens and dozens of references to God's Providence in George Washington's correspondence and speeches.

Here are just a few:


In a letter to Thomas Nelson, 1778

The hand of Providence has been so conspicuous in all this [the survival of the Continental Army] that he must be worse than an infidel that lacks faith, and more wicked, that has not gratitude enough to acknowledge his obligations.


In a letter to Jonathan Trumbull, 1788

We may, with a kind of grateful and pious exultation, trace the finger of Providence through those dark and mysterious events which first induced the states to appoint a general convention and then led them one after another (by such steps as were best calculated to effect the object)...That the same good Providence may still continue
to protect us and prevent us from dashing the cup of national felicity just as it has been lifted to our lips is my earnest prayer.



Speech to government leaders in Philadelphia, 1789

When I contemplate the interposition of Providence, as it was manifested in guiding us through the revolution, in preparing us for the reception of a general government, and in conciliating the good will of the people of America toward one another after its adoption, I feel myself almost overwhelmed with a sense of divine munificence.


From his First Inaugural Address, 1789

No people can be bound to acknowledge and adore the invisible hand which conducts the affairs of men, more than the people of the United States. Every step by which they have advanced to the character of an independent nations seems to have been distinguished by some token of providential agency.


In a letter to John Armstrong, 1792


I am sure there never was a people who had more reason to acknowledge a divine interposition in their affairs than those of the United States; and I should be pained to believe that they have forgotten the agency which was so often manifested during our revolution, or that they failed to consider the omnipotence of that God who is alone able to protect them.


In a letter to Lund Washington, 1779

I look upon every dispensation of Providence as designed to answer some valuable purpose, and I hope I shall possess a sufficient degree of fortitude to bear without murmuring any stroke which may happen either to my person or my estate from that quarter.


In a letter to William Pearce, 1794.

At disappointments and losses which are the effects of Providential acts I never repine, because I am sure the divine disposer of events knows better than we do what is best for us or what we deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment