Friday, November 20, 2020

A Pilgrim in Progress



Conversation between Prudence and Christian, from The Pilgrim's Progress:

Prudence: Do you think sometimes of the country you came from [City of Destruction]?

Christian: Yes, but with shame and regret. But if I had preferred the country I came from, I would have returned to it, for I have had ample opportunity to do so. But now I desire a better country, a heavenly one.

Prudence: Do you still have some of the old country in you?

Christian: Yes, to my humiliation. I still have my old inward carnal thoughts, such as my countrymen, as well as myself, once delighted in. But now they are my grief, and not my joy.

If I could be rid of my fleshly nature, and do all I choose, I would never have another evil thought. But, I find now, 'When I would do good, evil is present with me.'

Prudence: Do you not find at times that those carnal things of which you speak seem to be purged?

Christian: Yes, those times are the golden hours of my life. However, these experiences I do not have as often as I want, and they do not last as long as I wish they might.

Prudence: Can you remember by what means you obtain these victorious, happy experiences?

Christian: Yes. When I think on what I saw and what I received at the cross; or when I think of the country to which I am going; or read from the pilgrim's book and pray, all doubts and fears, anxieties and cares, and all evil seem to vanish away. Yet I feel that is not I myself achieving this but the Spirit of Him who loved me and gave Himself for me.

Prudence: What gives you such a strong desire to go to Mount Zion?

Christian: Oh, I want to be with Him who gave Himself for my sins, and is giving me eternal life. I want to be with those who are like Him, and be free from pain and trouble and iniquity forever.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


When I think of what I received at the cross.....the golden hours of my life....
                           Reminds me of 2 Peter 1:5-8:

...Make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love. 

For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. But if anyone does not have them, he is nearsighted and blind, and has forgotten that he has been cleansed from his past sins...





So the key to effective Christian living is: remembering what happened at the cross...

...it is so profoundly simple!

No comments:

Post a Comment