Monday, September 20, 2021

Traces of Jesus - Philip Yancey


Jesus left few traces of Himself on earth. He wrote no books or even pamphlets. A wanderer, He left no home or even belongings that could be enshrined in a museum. He did not marry, settle down, and begin a dynasty.

We would, in fact, know nothing of Him, except for the traces He left in human beings.

That was His design. The law and the prophets had focused like a beam of light on the One who was to come, and now, that light, as if hitting a prism, would fracture and shout out in a human spectrum of waves and colors.

Six weeks after His Resurrection and His Ascension back to His heavenly glory, the disciples would find out what Jesus meant by the words for your good. As Augustine put it, "You ascended from before our eyes, and we turned back grieving, only to find You in our hearts."


     -- From The Jesus I ever Knew, by Philip Yancey


Because I have said these things, you are filled with grief. But I tell you the truth: It is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Comforter will not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you...He will bring glory to me by taking what is mine and making it known to you."  (John 16:6, 7, 14)

"But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth." After he had said this, he was taken up before  their very eyes, and a cloud hid him from their sight.  (Acts 1:8-9)

No comments:

Post a Comment