Tuesday, August 31, 2021

My best friend

I remember how hard it was when I was a child to find and keep a "best friend."
What a joy to have someone I could tell anything to -- hopes, dreams, hurts.

Remember Anne of Green Gables? When she discovered the friendship of Shirley Barry and they became "kindred spirits" forever? They were both so joyous at that remarkable discovery.

These thoughts came to me this morning when reading Psalm 25:14.

The LORD confides in those who fear Him; He makes His covenant
known to them. (NIV)



How can this be true? Does it really mean what is says? (I think it always does!) If we fear (worship) Him, He will reveal to us His secrets?

It would have to be a really close friend for us to "confide" in them. Someone trustworthy and dependable to keep our secrets. And those people we have to search out and start sharing our secrets slowly and carefully until we are certain that they are worthy of our trust (trustworthy).

Jesus told His disciples, "I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know His master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything I learned from my Father I have made known to you." (John 15:15)

So God Himself is the revealer of His divine secrets, those mysterious thoughts of His own heart, and He will share them with us.

"Privy" (to be secret or privately informed about) is a word hardly used anymore. But when a character in a story boasts he was "privy" to something, then we know he was in the "in crowd." The select group that surrounds a powerful king or businessman.

And who doesn't want to be in the "inner circle"?

So I guess we are in that orb of the LORD's confidence when we connect ourselves to Him through Jesus Christ --

And the LORD of the universe, through our worship of Him, will share His secrets with us!

Here is the verse (Psalm 25:14) from The Message:

God-friendship is for God-worshipers; They are the ones He
confides in.


I need to work on my "God-worship".


P.S. I think we can relate this idea to current news. Sometimes we can be praying for a certain problem or situation we want changed. And it changes! Everyone is quick to applaud the important people involved, but we know that the prayers of His people first moved the hand of God to make the change in response to our heart-felt prayers.

When the Berlin Wall fell, Ronald Reagan received much credit -- and he deserved it, and economical problems contributed. But what the world does not, or chooses not, to recall is the steadfast group of 500,000 Christians who, with lighted candles marching silently night after night, carrying signs that said they were praying for freedom and for the wall to come down. Only CNN showed that group, and only for a short time.

No comments:

Post a Comment