Saturday, July 24, 2021

How Should I Pray for My Friends?

                                               

                                                How Should I Pray for My Friends?


           "I have not stopped giving thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers, I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and divine revelation, so that you may know Him better."

                                            -- Ephesians 1:17


I love this verse. In Paul's opening thoughts in his letter to his dear friends in Ephesus he reminds them that he is thankful for them and that he prays for them.

And what does he pray? That God will give them "wisdom and divine revelation" - both of which come only from God, the Source of both -- and for what reason? That they may know God better!

Isn't this our pattern for praying for our friends? 

We pray for their health, safety, success, happiness, etc. and all the myriad of things that come to our minds. But isn't the real goal that they can know God better? 

Knowing God better will help us to equip ourselves for life here on earth and -- remember the old lullaby -- "fit us for heaven to live with Thee there"?

This should be our prayer model. 


Remember reading, probably years ago, Tennyson's Morte D'Arthur (The Death of King Arthur)?

These words from Arthur as he is in the barge saying good-bye to his friends:


"The old order changeth, yielding place to new

And God fulfills Himself in many ways..,.

I have lived my life, and that which I have done

May He within Himself make pure! But thou,

If thou shouldst never see my face again,

Pray for my soul. More things are wrought by prayer

Than this world dreams of. Wherefore, let thy voice

Rise like a fountain for me night and day.

For what are men better than sheep or goats

That nourish a blind life within the brain,

If, knowing God, they lift not hands of prayer

Both for themselves and those who call them friend?

For so the whole world is in every way

                                Bound in gold chains about the feet of God."

Read it again....




No comments:

Post a Comment