Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Glorify


                                   GLORIFY!

I just gleaned this a short time ago, as I was studying various passages in preparation for teaching a class in Psalms. As I looked for ways of describing and defining "glorify" I happened to look at Wycliffe's Bible translation of the late 1300's. 


 In John 17, where the King James uses "glorify," Wycliffe uses "clarify." I have been intrigued by this -- One way we glorify God is by clarifying Him to those around us.

"Father, the time has come. Glorify (clarify) your Son, that your Son may glorify (clarify) you" .... John 17:1.

A dictionary helps, too. Webster defines "clarify" to "make illustrious, clear, bright, famous...to make something clear, and free from impurities...to make or become easier to understand, as in 'clarify my statement.'"

Random thoughts....

Mother used to "clarify" butter - to make it pure for her to use in various special recipes. I remember it made the butter sparkling and clear - shiny, almost. I don't hear about that anymore.

But anyway, to "clarify" is certainly an intentional act to make something clear and pure and illustrious. To make it  bright and usable. 


On that note, I guess we should ask God to "clarify" us so that we can properly "glorify" Him!



This somehow enlarges, as well as simplifies, the meaning for me....how we can "glorify the One we love..." 







No comments:

Post a Comment