Tuesday, February 9, 2021

How Jesus Wants Us To Focus - C S Lewis

                               

                    What Is Real Focus? - as Jesus Tells Us


An example from Jesus' conversations with one of His Disciples:


                      -- From Mere Christianity by C S Lewis

"There are questions at issue between Christians to which I do not think we have been told the answer.

There are some to which I may never know the answer; if I asked them, even in a better world, I might (for all I know) be answered as a far greater questioner was answered: 

                    'What is that to thee? Follow thou Me.'"


I think we worry too much about things that don't really concern us in the long term.

Jesus is reminding us, as He did Peter, to focus on his own relationship with Jesus.


                         The context - John 21:18-23

Jesus, talking to Peter, said, "Very truly I tell you, when you were younger you dressed yourself and went where you wanted; but when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go." Jesus said this to indicate the kind of death by which Peter would glorify God. The He said to him, "Follow Me!"

Peter turned and saw that the disciple whom Jesus loved was following them. When Peter saw him, he asked: "Lord, what about him?"

Jesus answered, "If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you? You must follow Me."



Why do we get distracted with questioning what God is doing in the lives of others?  All that matters, during this temporary assignment we call "life," is that we keep our focus on Him and His plan for us to bring glory to Him.


                                      



No comments:

Post a Comment