Wednesday, February 3, 2021

Sin is just So Boring!

Consider the assumption that unhappiness is more interesting than happiness. Tolstoy's maxim in Anna Karenina is regularly cited: "Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way."

But is that really true? I have found just the opposite to be the case. An encounter with a happy family or happy marriage -- where people love and support one another; where they find joy in the very being of the other -- is almost always more fascinating than unhappiness.

Unhappiness is a dreary replaying of deadly sins -- envy, pride, resentment, hatred, and endless variations on the "old dreadfuls" of human depravity. It is all so predictable. 

Happiness, by way of sharpest contrast, surprises and delights.

            --From As I Lay Dying by Richard John Newhaus



[I can sure vouch for this! The Christians I know are spontaneous, free, unpredictable, and fun to be around! More so than my unbelieving friends!]




I have come that they might have life, and that they have it more abundantly.  (John 10:10 NKJV)


My purpose is to give life in all its fullness. (John 10:10 NLT)


I came so that they can have real and eternal life, more and better life than they ever dreamed of.  (John 10:10 The Message)


Though you have not see Him, you love Him; you believe in Him and are filled with inexpressible and glorious joy. (1 Peter 1:8 NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment