Monday, June 22, 2020

Searching - St. Augustine



Too late have I loved You, O Beauty, ancient, yet ever new. Too late have I loved You!

You were within, but I was outside, searching for You there -- plunging, deformed amid those fair forms which You had made.

You were with me, but I was not with You.

Things held me far from You, which, unless they were in You, did not exist at all. 

You called and shouted, and burst my deafness.

You gleamed and shone upon me, and chased away my blindness.

You breathed fragrant odors on me and I held back my breath, but now I pant for You.

I tasted and now I hunger and thirst for You.

You touched me and now I yearn for Your presence.

      -- Confessions of St. Augustine, Book X, #27

                          
                                               ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. Where can I go and meet with God? 
 (Psalm 42:1-2)
Taste and see that the LORD is good.    
(Psalm 34:8)

Blessed are they who hunger and thirst after righteousness,
for they will be filled.
(Matthew 5:6)




No comments:

Post a Comment