Thursday, June 11, 2020

The Two Evils


"For My people have committed two evils: 
they have forsaken Me, the fountain of living waters,
 and have hewn for themselves cisterns -- broken cisterns that can hold no water."  Jeremiah 2:13


I ask myself,  "Why would anyone walk away from a fountain of fresh, clean, pure water and dig a hole to collect the dirty, contaminated run-off water?"

It makes no sense. Like drinking dirty dish water, when we could be refreshed with pure, sparkling clean water. Who would do such a thing?

Maybe I do. Maybe I am that stupid!

Ignoring God's perfect will and path for me -- the path specifically designed to bring me goodness and happiness -- and I choose my own destructive self-serving way and end up sad and empty!

The world is full of broken cisterns. Many I dig myself. It's like sitting in a mud puddle making mud pies when I could be at a coastal resort building sand castles and watching the dolphins frolic in the waves. (And waiting for the buffet to open!)

Looking for happiness in all the wrong places.

Jesus promised, "Whoever drinks of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst...the water I give him will become in him a fountain springing up into eternal life." John 4:13-14

Only Jesus can give us what we want and need. What kind of fool would walk away from that?

No comments:

Post a Comment